appliqué initial singlets: a tutorial

Monday, January 6, 2014


My crafting time is pretty limited these days (mostly because I can't be bothered to clean up the inevitable mess) so it sure is nice when I can find little pockets of time to sew. Today, while my husband took Clementine out for a walk, I quickly gathered up some supplies and made these two initial appliqué singlets for a soon to be born baby boy. They were so quick and easy to make that I thought I'd share a tutorial; this would be a perfect last minute baby gift. If you keep a few plain singlets on hand, you can whip these up faster than a trip to the shops. Promise.

You will need:

- a plain singlet, I used organic Pure Baby singlets but Bonds does nice ones as well
- a small scrap of fabric for the appliqué
- a small piece of fusible interfacing
- an iron
- scissors
- a sewing machine, but you could easily make this by hand with just a needle and thread

Instructions:

1. Take your piece of interfacing and draw your letter on the papery side (the other side is the glue). You will have to draw your letter backwards.

2. Iron this piece of interfacing onto the back of your scrap of fabric.

3. Cut out your letter (the interfacing will remain attached).

4. Carefully peel the interfacing away from the fabric, leaving the glue attached. Now iron this letter onto the front of the singlet. Either with your machine (I would recommend a zig zag stitch so the edges don't fray) or by hand, sew around the outline of the letter.

Wrap in paper, tie with a string, and deliver to a new mum!

6 comments:

  1. This is seriously cute! I need to make one for my little miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such a great idea for a simple baby shirt or onesie!

    Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger