nesting: for christmas

Friday, December 27, 2013




It's no surprise that this month is usually a hard one for me. I miss my family, and I long for the traditions that make me feel like Christmas is coming. Traditions that are so seasonally based that they just don't work here; it seems odd, but I really do miss the cold and all of the indoor activities that come with it (like baking, drinking egg nog, watching movies, and knitting). Other years I've just let myself wallow, but this time I decided to get in the spirit of things. Or at least try my best.

We opted not to get a Christmas tree (maybe next year) so I emptied a little red bookcase and used it as our Christmas corner. I hung a wreath over it, filled the shelves with gifts and decorated with red and green bits and pieces like this beautiful bird that my friend Katrina made. My mother in law also made the three of us beautiful stockings, using this tutorial from the purl bee.

This month I also managed to do some baking and sewing. My friend Katie and I made the Chocolate Banana Birthday Cake from My New Roots, which was delicious and well worth the effort. Right before Christmas I made up a double batch of my favourite olive oil granola, which, packed into jars and decorated with fabric scraps made a perfect homemade gift for family and friends. Lastly, I sewed up another doll (I know, enough with the dolls already!) which was sent to baby Tallow, in honour of her first Christmas.

Now that we're in these wonderfully lazy post-Christmas days, I can honestly say that I very much enjoyed this year. I had a wonderful BirthdayChristmas and I'm glad that I made the effort to celebrate properly.

nesting: the beginnings
nesting: summertime
nesting: from summer to autumn

4 comments:

  1. I wish we had stockings for christmas ... in Germany, Santa comes on December 6th and we put our boots outside our door for him to fill them with sweets. At christmas, Baby Jesus brings the presents. So weird. But nice to get presents twice :)

    Lots of love, I hope you had great holidays!!!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a family of talented craft nuts! I want to learn to sew something for Mason! How hard would it be for me to make one of those dolls? Please note my talent for sewing ends at cross-stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel you on the Christmas thing.... ever since we moved to LA and starting experiencing 80* temps at Christmas; it just isn't the same and I end up with the blues every year. I just keep my fingers crossed that one year I'll again have a White Christmas. And so will you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally impressed by your craftiness. Tree or no, it all feels rather festive! Though I totally agree that it's hard to really feel the season without the environmental cues. As much as I love perpetual summer and generally feel really fortunate to escape ice and snow for a while, I do find myself, for a couple of weeks every year, missing woollen socks, wood stoves, and icicles of my Eastern Ontario childhood.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger